Saturday, April 30, 2011

Five Minute Friday: If I knew I could, I would...



I'm linking up to The Gypsy Mama's Five Minute Friday Saturday. Lisa-Jo assigns a prompt and asks you to write for five minutes without planning, overthinking, editing, or worrying about how it sounds. So I'm checking my clock, and starting now.

Go:

If I knew I could cook without recipes, I would. I dream of going in the kitchen, opening the cupboards, the freezer, the refrigerator, and creating a meal. A meal that combines healthy eating principles, my whims, and what we have that is fresh and in season. 

Instead, I am trapped by my need to do things exactly right. I cling to my trusty recipes, old and new, and I follow each step without straying. I compulsively read the recipe over and over again until I practically have them memorized, and then I read them again. 

On Wednesday night, I opened the refrigerator and pulled out crescent roll dough, leftover ham, cream cheese, and American cheese. I mixed up the ham and cheese (didn't measure!) and put a pile of it on each roll. I folded them up and baked them until they were brown. Oooooh yum. They were delicious, easy, and creative (for me!).

I need to do that more.

Stop.

1 comment:

  1. Kelli,

    Jumped over from Lisa Jo's and it was my first time on the 5 minute Friday fun. Your writing is great! I am so like you when I do cooking so congrats on the quick easy out of your mind idea with the crescents. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete